Chestnut Hill Benevolent Association
Independent Living at Chestnut Hill Benevolent Association is comprised of a community of senior Christian Scientists, leading active, independent lives. Their daily practice of Christian Science includes support of the BA’s core mission programs located in the Christian Science Nursing Building next door, such as Christian Science nursing, a training school, and our Visiting Christian Science Nursing Service.
Independent Living is housed in the historic Original Building, which has served as a gracious home for Christian Scientists since 1975 when a group that included some of Mrs. Eddy’s early students and some of their pupils relocated here from Pleasant View Home in Concord, New Hampshire. In 1981 the Christian Science Board of Directors transferred the entire organization with all its programs from The Mother Church to autonomous control under the direction of a Board of Trustees. Today, the lovely 24-acre wooded campus, well-appointed living spaces, and proximity to Boston continue to offer Christian Scientists a delightful blend of country living close to the heart of the city. Residents, Christian Science nurses and other staff members, and Rest & Study guests come from many walks of life and from many parts of the world.
The BA campus includes woodlands, lawns, gardens, and walking paths just minutes from the world-class cultural, educational, and entertainment attractions of the Boston area. Also nearby are The Mother Church, the Mary Baker Eddy Library, Longyear Museum, several branch churches and their Reading Rooms, and other sites of interest to Christian Scientists.
A variety of apartment floor plans are available with pleasing, wooded views. Gracious common rooms, light-filled bay windows, and an extensive collection of books, original art, and antique furnishings offer opportunities for refreshment and places for making new friendships and visiting with family and other guests.
Other amenities include:
- Three meals a day prepared by our award-winning Executive Chef and his staff, and served in our central Dining Room
- Weekly house-keeping services
- 24-hour security, and full maintenance and grounds services
- All utilities are included with the exception of long distance telephone service
- Free wireless internet service and satellite-enabled television services are available
- Transportation to church services at The Mother Church, Christian Science lectures, local shopping and restaurants, and individual appointments
- A wide array of other activities both on and off campus such as hymn sings, movies, community-service projects, music and theater performances, visits to area museums, writing workshops, discussion groups, Boston-area day trips, and occasional afternoon teas.
- Special programs offered to the wider BA community in the Boston area, including the graduation ceremony for Christian Science nurses who have completed the BA’s training program.
If you would like more information, please contact Tom or Marion Harvey, who jointly serve as Directors of Independent Living. You can reach them by calling 800-662-9937 or via email at email@example.com.